Sunday, March 18, 2012

Salt Lick BBQ


Did I ever tell you we live next to one of the most famous BBQ joints in Texas? It's so famous it was even featured recently on Top Chef! 

It's called the Salt Lick Bar-B-Que 

The Salt Lick has been in business for over 40 years and is settled in Driftwood, just a 20 minute drive from our house.  I'll be honest, of all the bar-b-que in Texas, theirs is not my absolute favorite (Rudy's, I still love you the most!), but I sure do enjoy it when we go!  And, since it's such a tourist spot, and it's so close, we try to bring all our "out of town" guests to visit.  They've grown from a tiny one room building with a pit, to full blown extended restaurant with a wedding venue and vineyard. 

So, last week when Papa came out to visit, it was first on our list of places to take him. 
See how happy that face is?  That's the look of a fella who has had to eat California beef for the past 5+ years and was about to be spoiled rotten with some good 'ole Texas beef. 

I invited Uncle Fino and his girlfriend Nelli to join us to catch up with Dad during his visit and we had a wonderful dinner full of stories, great food and wine. 
It was incredibly busy on Saturday night (who'd of thought!) and we had to wait for over an hour and a half, needless to say we were all super hungry by the time the food arrived.  We ordered brisket, pork ribs, sausage, beef ribs, potato salad, baked beans and coleslaw... it smelled incredible, full of heartburn inducing smoky deliciousness and then we covered it in their great bbq sauce.
If you have the chance to make the trip out to The Salt Lick, I'm sure you'll just love it.

One of the things on Jason and my bucket list is to have a tour-de-Texas-bbq.  I can't wait to compare the Salt Lick the rest of the joints around the state and hopefully it'll still stay on the top of my list as a favorite place to eat!
Collage of Thurman and Hisako, pit

xoxo, cb.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...