I've cut the back fabric and basted the quilt with safety pins so the next step is to choose a design and get to quilting. Amazing people with lots of time sometimes do this by hand. Because time is not something I have a lot of, I have chosen to use my machine :) I bought a walking foot to use to make straight lines and I ordered a free motion quilting foot to get creative with patterns (though, I feel like I may need a little more practice with that before I let loose on this one.)
SO MUCH FUN.
Well, truly, the safety pinning was kind of terrible because sitting on my tile floor for 2 hours pinning while watching TV is not at all comfortable - especially because my belly almost hits the ground when I sit, but the rest has been fun!
Did you know that quilting is actually the process of stitching designs onto the front of a fabric to hold the back, batting and front together? I always thought it was the whole idea of cutting up fabric and making pieces for designs - maybe that's part of it, but the quilting is really all about sewing that "quilt sandwich" together - it doesn't matter if it's pieced together or not!
Interesting... sneaky quilters ;)
This quilt is going to be heavier than I originally thought, but it sure is coming together.
Next week, binding!
xoxo, CB
No comments:
Post a Comment