Friday, February 21, 2014

31 Weeks - Twin Update

Ready for another baby post?

I'm 31 weeks and 1 day today.  This is a big milestone!  97% of babies born at 31 weeks will not have major lifelong medical problems (blindness, lung problems, etc.)  If we make it to 32 weeks, that number increases to 99%.  What a relief.  We are in a pretty critical point in the pregnancy because the doctors really really want met to get to at least 34 weeks.  At that point, the boys will likely need very little NICU time and may only need steroids to help their lungs develop.

So, in precaution they've put me on a modified work schedule - I'm only supposed to be working 4 hours a day.  And, they've cracked down on my travel - I'm not supposed to be out of the house for more than an hour or two at a time because it puts too much pressure on my body and they're afraid it might throw me into early labor or it could make it to where I need to be on bed rest.   I really, really, really do not want either of those things.

I'm also supposed to be resting for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening.  This is so hard for me.  I get bored easily, and in my mind I feel like I can do more than I am.  But, I'm trying to listen to their advice.  It has been a welcome change to allow myself to rest, and not feel guilty about it.  I'm exhausted all the time because I'm not sleeping, so it is good to be able to sort of turn off my brain.  Oh, this brain.  It is fuzzy.  If you tell me anything important these days - make sure it is written down, because I will forget or I will get it backwards or I will forget.

On Tuesday I had another routine sonogram and all things are looking good.  Dr. Fonseca (the sonogram specialist) said there is lots of amniotic fluid for the babies and they're growing really well... right on track with what a singleton would be, but times two!

Baby B (aka. Samuel Barrett, or Sam) is 3.3 pounds
Baby A (aka. Ryan, Clayton, Grant, Wade... who knows yet!) is 3.6 pounds.

Baby A is presenting first - that means is that he is lower than Sam and would be delivered first if we are able to have a non-surgical birth.

Oh, and about that..  C-Sections.
My head is wrapped all around the thought of having a cesarian and I'm giving it a big hug.  I know there are lot of moms (well, most from what I've gathered) that would rather not have major surgery to have a baby, but I am not one of those.   I had the most amazing experience of my life giving birth to Travis and we were lucky.  He was healthy, I was healthy and it was an extremely easy delivery (aside from the 41+ hours of labor.)  But, there are so many things that can go wrong during delivery, that my choice is to deliver any way that is going to get these boys here safely.  If that means surgery, I'm all in. If that means a traditional birth, I'm all in.  As long as they are safe.

Likely, we will have a C-Section.  Both boys are breech, which means their heads are up in my lungs, and that doesn't bode well for a safe traditional birth.  Breech babies are funny.  I've had 4 doctors tell me that having a baby breech is the most uncomfortable thing imaginable... and then there were 2.  Not to worry.  I kind of love being able to cup their little heads with my hands resting on the top of my belly... but, it is extremely hard to breathe at times and when they kick me, it is a whole different level of extremely uncomfortable.   Good news is, I don't get the karate kicks to the ribs - Travis used to wake me up in the middle of the night with those.  Now the worst of the pains are the ones where I pull ligaments in my sides - apparently that stabbing sensation that takes your breath away and makes you nearly cry is normal.  Before I know it, this pregnancy will be over and I'll miss all these crazy things.  Oh, and the heartburn.  I will not miss that.

So anyhow, unless these babes get to flipping soon, and both of them, for the safety of the kids, we will likely have a cesarian.

What else is new?

I'm big.  Real big.  I'm measuring at 38-39 weeks, so I look like a mama that is about to pop but it's totally false advertising.

I get stopped when I'm at the grocery store or getting a smoothie and people are so enamored by a big mama pregnant person.  The sweetest lady in a restroom today told me I was beautiful - I nearly gave her a hug.  Most people say things like "woah, due any day now?" or "I bet you're ready for that baby to be here" and I just smile and nod and go on my way mostly... but I tell you - some people can be down right rude.  I was at a career fair a couple weeks ago and a student came up to me, gave me his resume to apply for a job, looked at my belly and after my co-worker said "she's having twins!" he replied with "wow, I'm sorry!"   Ouch man.

We are so excited to be having twins.
And scared.
But mostly excited.

It is a blessing to get pregnant, let alone carry babies long enough that they're viable and I am beyond grateful for the opportunity to be able to experience this in my life.  I am trying my best not to complain (but sometimes it just feels good to gripe) because it is a gift.  More, it is a miracle to have a baby.  And twins... wow.  I couldn't have dreamed this is the way our lives would turn out.  It is a true twist of fate and it is so beautiful.

Okay, I'm mushy.  Pregnancy has made me hormonal (sorry, Jason!)

Good night, all.
xoxo, CB

Oh yeah, one more thing.  The glucose test came back fine.  No gestational diabetes - thank heavens!


1 comment:

  1. I love your updates!! I will pray for you to make it to at least 34 weeks. Sounds like you are on track to making it. Can't wait to meet the newest Bagley boys!

    Jenn Matison

    P.s. I love the potential names!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...